Sunday, January 5, 2014

Marie's First Paranormal Anthology

Dead After Dark (Dark-Hunterverse, #14.6; Black Dagger Brotherhood #6.6; Were-Hunter, #4.5; Companion, #6.5)Dead After Dark by Sherrilyn Kenyon
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The thing about anthologies is that (positive) it contains different short stories which is a plus if you're not the kind who loves long ones but it also (negative) somehow requires you to have at least a little bit of background IF the story is set up in another world - another world that the author established in an entire series, for example.

Th]is is my first ever paranormal anthology-ish book. Honestly, I only picked it up because of J.R. Ward (Meh. Yes. I have a favorite) I read up anthologies to "discover" "new" authors I would like.

-----------------------------------------------

Shadow of the Moon by Sherrilyn Kenyon

2.75 stars

Huhu.. This is is my first Sherrilyn Kenyon story and now, I'm really not sure what I should feel. Should I give her a try? (I'm collecting a series of her, not yet started reading it)

I can really feel that she'd created a wonderful, interesting world in the Dark Hunter series but for us who are not acquainted, it's hard to keep up. Well, I did understand the basics but still. Technically, this can be a "stand alone," as all entries in anthologies are, but maybe it's better if you're aware of the world where the story is from. And I pray I'm making sense.

And I really didn't like the heroine of the story. See? Forgot her name already.

-----------------------------------------------

The Story of Son by J.R. Ward

5 stars

Maybe I rated this story high since I'm a fan of the Black Dagger Brotherhood series. And the story is really good. But, as much as I love happy endings, this one was really over the top. Too much of a happy ending. Well, still, it made me happy. XD

Hero. I love him <3 data-blogger-escaped-br="">
-----------------------------------------------

Beyond the Night by Susan Squires

3.75 stars

Okay. This is my first Susan Squires too. At first I had a hard time deciding whether to continue reading or not because this one said it had a ghost. I really don't like ghosts in my story (well, except the three in A Christmas Carol) and to think I'll be reading a love story between a man and a ghost. I was like, "No way, dude." this is the reason for the lengthy amount of time I'm "reading" the anthology. But then, one day... I just read it. And it wasn't so bad.

I found the "parasite" thing inside the body funny. Until now, I don't know why. But I feel sorry for the hero. Yep, he deserved a happy ending.

-----------------------------------------------

Midnight Kiss Goodbye by Dianna Love

2.75 stars

Ehhh.. What can I say? I was a bit confused. And it's a whole new world. (I think I'll lay off anthologies). Celtic and Hindu cultures with enemies living under Mount Meru and Beladors fighting, witches... err, witching.

It was okay, I guess. But plus points for Lucien. Now, there's a story I'd like to read. :D

-----------------------------------------------

So, all in all... I did enjoy the book.
But as I've said, I think I'll stay away from anthologies for the meantime.

View all my reviews

What about you? Any paranormal anthologies to share?
I'd love to hear them!

Love,

No comments:

Post a Comment